One thing for sure after I arrive Chicago is jet lag… I will be sleepy mid afternoon but will be wide awake around 2 AM! This is the only occasion I usually take a sleeping pill to give me a good night rest and be able to participate in our next morning sessions. But taking the pill is only for 1 night…just to break the cycle.
Other common causes of sleepless nights include stress, anxiety, medications like decongestants, and medical conditions like pain due to arthritis and heartburn.
One very important cause of perpetuationg this cycle of sleepless nights is the so called Behavioral Insomnia. This is a condition that makes you so conscious of the fact that you can’t sleep. The more worried you are about your inability to sleep, the more the cycle of insomnia perpetuates. Patients associate the bed with sleepless nights rather than rest! They sleep better when they’re away from their usual environment like watching TV or listening to lectures in a conference…that’s where you see these patients sound asleep!
As for sleeping pills- occasional use is okay. Frequent use can be habit forming and can also lead to sleepless nights especially they become less effective overtime.
Here are some Practical Tips to Help you Sleep:
1. Avoid and Limit Caffeine due to its stimulant effect;
2. Limit your water intake prior to bedtime to decrease frequent sleep interruption due to urination
3. Limit your Naps to at most 30 minutes if you cant do without it.
4. Take a little snacks or a relaxing warm bath prior to bedtime and try to avoid taking spicy foods or fatty foods for dinner especially if you have heartburn .
4. Avoid “Trying to Sleep”- the more you try, the more frustrating it can be. Read a book on a warm light and go to bed only when you feel you’re drowsy. Associate your bed with a good night sleep.
5. Stick to a schedule of sleeping and waking up.
So the next time you go to bed… make sure that the room is comfortable, dark and cozy…enough for the bedroom to be conducive to sleeping. Sleep is not only as important as your Daily Waking Activities…it’s how you plan the night time activity.
Remember… Sleep is the only time your body can Rejuvenate and Heal!
So Try My Tips ….
Enjoy Your Sleep and